Much of this jewellery has been lost, some melted down, but some pieces have survived. Discovered in ‘hoards’ which had been buried, possibly in a bid to protect them from Vikings or other raiders. A hoard of silver found at Norrie’s Law, Fife in 1819 included two leaf-shaped metal plaques, engraved and enamelled with Pictish symbols, as well as decorated pins and other items. A fine silver chain, a serpent-like bracelet and more pins were discovered at Gaulcross, Banffshire in 1840
Celtic and Pictish - early Celts and their priests, the Druids, had their own form of alphabet known as “Ogam Bethluisnion”, which was an extremely simple alphabet used more for carving into wood and stone, than for general writing, while Pictish artwork was later adopted by the Celts, especially throughout Ireland
The centre of administration of the Pictish kingdom in the 9th century was Forteviot on the River Earn. Close by the Dunkeld, King Kenneth MacAlpin (Cináed mac Ailpín) set up a new religious centre about 850AD. This was an acknowledgement of the fact that Iona was now no longer tenable as a religious capital, although the monastery was eventually re-established and it remained the burial place of Pictish kings until the time of Donald Ban.
Cairns predominate over barrows in the north of Scotland. Cairns often contain a number of individual burials, sometimes 5 to 6. Barrows almost always contain only one burial. A cemetery may contain both cairns & barrows, usually 3rd-6th centuries CE. After this date, burials in unenclosed Pictish cemeteries become less common, new burials being related to church sites. Bodies are placed east-west with the head to the west. Almost all Pictish burials are unadorned with grave goods.
The Brandsbutt Stone, Inverurie, Scotland. A large block of whinstone, measuring 1.07 metres (3.5 ft) high, 1.27 metres (4.2 ft) wide and 0.91 metres (3.0 ft) deep, the stone had been broken up and used in the construction of a dry stone dyke prior to 1866. The stone, now reassembled, bears two incised pictish symbols, a crescent and v-rod and a serpent and z-rod, as well as an inscription in Ogham.