Vitus Bering (1681-1741) Danish seaman and explorer (Horsens, Denmark, 1681- Bering Island, Russia, 1741) who, in the service of the Russian Empire, was able to lead two important expeditions to the Kamchatka Peninsula, during which he explored the Siberian Coast and reached the Western Coast of North America.
The British Trade Route to the White Sea - 1553 Another important harbour was Kildin on the Murman Coast - but for furs not flax. The 1553 British expedition can be looked upon as a rediscovery of the sea route that led to the Russian markets and the foundation was finally laid by the British for the commercial use of a sea route which the northern native Sámi inhabitants had already exploited for several hundred years. The European trade with northern Russia was not only focused on the Archangel area but also on the numerous small ports of the Kola peninsula's Murman Coast. Even though the Archangel activities could be regarded as transit trade to the interior of Russia, and Moscow, the Kola trade was more regional in nature with Kildin being the most important for furs and other naturals.
11. [BERING VITUS, MONUMENT IN PETROPAVLOVSK] [Lithograph Plate]: Monument élevé á la mémoire du Capitaine Béring au Kamchatka. [Monument Erected in Memory of Captain Bering in Kamchatka]. Paris: Lith. De Thierry fréres, . Lithograph plate ca. 20,5x26 cm (8 x 10 ¼ in) with very wide margins. From the drawing by Masselot, lithographed by Blanchard. A near fine lithograph. A plate from the “Atlas Pittoresque” to the official account of Abel Aubert Dupetit-Thouars circumnavigation in 1836-39 “Voyage autour du Monde sur la fregate La Vénus” (Paris, 1841-46). The plate shows French mariners at the monument to Vitus Bering erected in the city garden of Petropavlovsk. The expedition of Dupetit-Thouars visited Kamchatka on August 30 – September 15, 1837. Dupetit-Thouars writes about it in the travel account (in translation): “In the lower part of the garden, on the northern side, we also noticed a small monument erected in the memory of Bering: it is a single column, surmounted by a globe, the lattice fence carries a tablet on which we read KAПИTAHУ BИTУCУ БEPИНГУ (“To Capitan Vitus Bering”). Next to the monument in the middle of a clump of trees and flowers, stood a small very elegant kiosk. The plan of the city also showed on the other side of the creek, a monument to the memory of Clerke and Father de Croyère; but in vain we endeavored to find it – nobody could satisfy our curiosity in this regard, which gave us reason to believe,