Altenburg Abbey is a Benedictine monastery in Altenburg in Lower Austria. It was founded in 1144 by Countess Hildeburg of Boigen-Rebgau. Under the abbots Maurus Boxler and Placidus Much the abbey took on its present Baroque form. Under the supervision of the architect Josef Munggenast some of the most distinguished artists and craftsmen of Austria worked on this project: Paul Troger on the frescoes, Franz Josef Holzinger on the stucco work, and Johann Georg Hoppl on the marbling.
Geras abbey was founded in 1153 as a daughter house of Seelau Abbey by Ekbert and Ulrich of Pernegg and settled by canons from Seelau. Geras Abbey was able to survive the reforms of the Emperor Joseph II and the consequent monastery closures of 1783, and remains in operation to this day. The abbey church is a Romanesque basilica which was reworked in the Baroque style in the 18th century by the architect Josef Munggenast and the fresco painter Paul Troger.